All our sheets and blankets are stored in the dresser in the living room that is soon to become the baby's changing table and dresser... so I've been trying to figure out what to do with all of our linens. While we were garage sale-ing a few weekends ago, Nate and I found an old trunk outside at a barn sale. It was a little moist and battered, but the wood seemed to be in mostly good shape, so we bought it and took it home.
To clean it up, we left it in the garage for a couple weeks to dry and air out. Then Nate played around with the bottom, which had split due to swelling from the moisture. He straightened out the bottom pieces and added some supports on the inside and outside.
Then we pulled off all the old layers of material on the top - several layers that had obviously been added over many years. I went through my fabric piles (which are getting small! time to go to West Africa for some more textile shopping) and found a green and blue fake kente cloth from our trip to Ghana in 2006 (real kente was beyond my PC salary if I hoped to get home to Mali from the trip). I added a double-thick layer of padding from Joann Fabric, and covered it all with the Ghanian cloth. Nate put the newly reupolstered lid back on the trunk for me.
This is the material up next to our blue guest room wall:
Ta-da! New blanket/sheet storage and a window seat for the guest room:
You can also see our two new rugs - the flower one was originally meant for the nursery, but Ron & Kathy found a much better specimen for that room. So the flower rug moved up to the guest room and now provides a plush place to put your feet when you are visiting. The green and brown rug (a Craigslist find) to the right in the picture doesn't really have a home right now, so I just tossed it next to the guest bed.


No comments:
Post a Comment