Thursday, October 13, 2011

A chandelier for the baby's room

Since we bought the Farmhouse, I've become a bit obsessed with some do-it-yourself websites, a mix of house projects and crafts. That's where I got the idea for a fun light fixture for the baby's nursery - a "faux capiz shell chandelier", in the words of the DIY crowd. It's also where I got interested in starting this little website, actually. Anyway, concerning the chandelier, I liked how the light filters through and how the "shells" can move fairly freely if there is a fan on in the room. I thought Lentil might love it!
 
So I've been working on it in the evenings for a couple weeks. The directions are available at a lot of DIY websites (I mostly used this website, though I had less trouble than she did because I did buy the circle cutter. And for some reason I needed a LOT less wax paper - I used one roll where she used three, I think.)
 
After I made the wax circles (three layers of wax paper ironed together and cut out with a circle cutter), I used Elmer's glue to attach white thread to six circles in a line:
 
 
Then I used Elmer's again to attach the thread to the two wreath bases that I bought (this is the larger one):
 

Finally, I attached the two wreath bases together with ribbon and Nate helped me hang it up over the baby's new light fixture.

Here is the finished product:

No comments: