We had a good midwife appointment yesterday. We met with Pam, the nurse practitioner.
Nate is getting good at finding the baby's back, butt, and head these days during my weekly exam. He also noted that the baby had hiccups. The baby's heartbeat accelerated while Pam was listening to it on the doppler and the baby was hiccuping and kicking, and she said that that is a very good sign of the baby's health. The baby was head-down as usual (and has been for weeks). Pam noted that I look like I'm carrying low and we talked about the Braxton-Hicks I've been having, and she basically said the same things that my doula did about my body getting ready. I declined to have my cervix checked because I think it will give me either false hope that labor is coming soon, or dash those hopes altogether. Pam guessed that the baby might be about 6.5lbs now, which is right about where the pregnancy books estimate an average baby is at this point.
Nate is getting good at finding the baby's back, butt, and head these days during my weekly exam. He also noted that the baby had hiccups. The baby's heartbeat accelerated while Pam was listening to it on the doppler and the baby was hiccuping and kicking, and she said that that is a very good sign of the baby's health. The baby was head-down as usual (and has been for weeks). Pam noted that I look like I'm carrying low and we talked about the Braxton-Hicks I've been having, and she basically said the same things that my doula did about my body getting ready. I declined to have my cervix checked because I think it will give me either false hope that labor is coming soon, or dash those hopes altogether. Pam guessed that the baby might be about 6.5lbs now, which is right about where the pregnancy books estimate an average baby is at this point.
We told her that we hired a doula and it's funny because the nurses (this happened with our Bradley teacher, too, who is a nurse at Cayuga Medical Center) seem to have a not-entirely-positive reaction to that news. When we give them the name of our specific doula, however, it's like they breathe a sigh of relief and say that's great. Guess there are some doulas out there that the hospital nurses don't love. Luckily we picked one that everyone seems to really respect and likes to work with.
After our midwife visit next week, we will be visiting the fanciest daycare center in town, IC3, for a brief tour.
After our midwife visit next week, we will be visiting the fanciest daycare center in town, IC3, for a brief tour.
No comments:
Post a Comment