Monday, March 25, 2013

Miracle Egg



Cora and I just witnessed our first miracle. I am delighted, and not properly reverent. 

Chatu came over this afternoon just as Miss Cora was heading to her nap, but that plan was quickly postponed because Chatu wanted us to accompany her to see the Miracle Egg of Yabello. We have been trying since last week to see it; Chatu has visited the Egg house multiple times to no avail, once with us along (the family had gone to Moyale for the weekend).

But today was our day.

The family’s compound was tiny and shared with other families. We entered a room that was perhaps 10x8 and so full of large furniture (a huge armoire, a TV stand, a tiny table and two chairs, plus random assorted stuff stacked along the walls) that there was no standing room. The egg was brought out of the locked door of the armoire and presented in its tiny glass bowl and embroidered napkin. It was clearly a chicken egg that someone had scribbled on in blue pen, and the ink has been slowly dyeing the eggshell around it purple for the week that the Egg has been on display.

The group of people crowded in the doorway tried to think of ways to explain to the faranji (that would  be me in this case) who Allah and Mohammed are. “Like Jesus” was one offering. “One God” was another. I did my best to let them know that I understood who Allah and Mohammed are. 

My friend Chatu was truly amazed; she kissed the Egg reverently (Cora tried to grab it, of course). Chatu nearly glowed on our walk home.

The best part of all is that the woman of the Egg house gave each of us two eggs from the SAME chicken, the holy chicken?, that laid the Miracle Egg. I am instructed to cook them for Cora. Tomorrow we will have a blessed breakfast.

What a day!

2 comments:

Nana Hutch said...

Try as I might, I can not add a thing to that!

How was breakfast. Hope you two don't begin to glow!
Love always,
Irreverent grandmother/gr-grandmother

RDJ said...

Jen, today's post quadrupled itself. I see I replied to one and Barbara replied to another. That's no fun, so I choose to join Nana Hutch in internet eternity (among others) by reposting my earlier reply here. Then you can easily reduce the multiple posts to one.

"The intersection of popular/folk religion and time-honed traditions is usually embarrassing to both. But it is what it is as human nature reaches out to its supernatural roots. While most of my Muslim acquaintances and their leaders would have issues with this egg (and see it at root as a kind of blasphemy), my tradition has to deal with the face of Jesus in waffles and wall mold. Ah well. But, if the two eggs were given in love, then maybe tomorrow will indeed be blessed. Even misled hearts can be loving (if not, then we'd all be in trouble!).

I'm tickled, Jen, that you are "delighted, and not properly reverent."!