Friday, August 3, 2012

37 weeks - VT traditions

This week, Cora and I are crashing at Janet & Pete's house while Nate jets off to Kenya for research-related work (hobnobbing! with Cornell and ILRI folks).

While it may look like this VT excursion is just an exuse to hang out with some of our favorite people in our very favorite place, it is actually a step toward reaching a high-priority goal for me... If we can't (don't) live in VT, I really want Cora to have VT as her summer place, like I did when I was growing up. This week represents what I hope is the first in many years of summer weeks in South Hero. With cousins and swimming and aunties/uncles/greats galore.

On Wednesday, cousins Hannah and Katerina (one of the Desranleau girls) babysat
Skylar and Cora all day. I took them all swimming in the afternoon at White's beach.
OK, so what is Miss Miss up to this week?

Well, she is developing her own version of language at the moment. Ba Ba BA, Ma, and Da are favorites. We haven't really seen her connect any of those sounds with certain things, people, or meanings yet. But I can think, "oh, 'ba' in Bambara means 'mother'!" Or her random "da" can be Dadda... maybe?

Last weekend, she woke up crying during a nap and I swear she said "Ma", well, my heart melted and I scooped her right up. But now "mamamama" has just become part of her regular repertoire.

And on Wednesday morning while waving goodbye to Uncle Peter, he was saying "bye bye!" and she said "ba ba". Ok, I'm stretching here.

Her second top canine tooth is coming in, too. Her vampire look is improving every day!

3 comments:

RDJ said...

"Mamamama" might be part of her regular repertoire, but we all know that being in the presence of her mother is also part of her regular repertoire; I think the two go together!

Remember to start regular practice sessions of "Papa"!!

Jen said...

Well, she makes this great "Pop" sound with her mouth - not a word, exactly, but like the pop of a bottle of cola as it opens. We've been interpreting it as an enthusiastic kiss sound, but it could also be the beginning of a unique version of "Papa"!

RDJ said...

Undoubted a kiss meant for Papa!