Monday, April 22, 2013

Thinking back on the good things

Things I will miss about life in Yabello
  • Having Cora with me all the time
  • Watching and helping Cora interact with a whole new culture/environment
  • Chatu, Amini, Osama, & Fardoza
  • Thunderous rainstorms
  • Feeling like I lived up to the challenge of life as “the faranji” in Yabello
  • Watching Nate flourish as a supervisor/field researcher
  • Tibs chakala
  • Mango/avocado juice “Express”
  • Being able to step outside our gate and immediately access dozens of friends for Cora
  • Scenes like this:





Things I am glad I learned in Ethiopia
  • How to make “Grade A” chapatti
  • Basic Afan Oromo language (when I didn’t really plan to)
  • How to be really, really patient with kids who don’t speak my language
  • How not to take some things personally – it’s nice to be able to blame the cultural difference sometimes
  • If we ever live abroad again, I’m hiring someone else to do diapers and floors
  • I can and will stand up for myself and Cora, even physically if necessary

No comments: