Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A baby dream

Last night I had a really vivid and long dream about giving birth to the baby. I have not really been having any pregnancy or baby-related dreams for a while (weeks, even) - it seems that in the first trimester I had a lot, then it dropped off to nothing. 
 
Before bed last night I started reading a book about the three stages of labor that our birthing class teacher lent to us. Well, did I ever go through the three stages in my dream! I was in labor in my bedroom, all alone (except sometimes the cats came in? I think). I wasn't feeling any pain or fear, but I could feel all the changes taking place in my body. Contractions didn't hurt, but felt like waves (wishful thinking, I know). Lentil was kicking around as usual but it felt like s/he was helping the process move along. I was just talking to the baby and myself, describing what was happening in a really calm way. After a long time, out came the baby. It was a girl! Up to that moment, the dream was pretty awesome.
 
Then as I was sitting in my bed, holding my baby girl and just looking down at her, she started talking like a grown up. I wish I could remember what she said (I think she was reprimanding me). But all I really remember from the dream is a feeling of total shock, and then fear that she was some kind of an alien or something.
 
From there, she turned into a grownup princess and the dream really took off in a different direction.  

No comments: