Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Off to Paris! - PMart 1 - Travel and day 1

I try not to use exclamation points in my blog titles. But some things -- Paris-related things -- deserve that little extra punctuation. Because if you don't know this about me: I love Paris. Love it. And getting to go to Paris, getting to plan a trip to Paris (because planning is half the fun!), getting to bring our KIDS to Paris? Wow.

I was as excited for this trip as I've been for anything. I had made a million plans and even made plans for times that wouldn't be planned. I knew this trip could never never live up to my expectations and hopes.

But like so many things about Paris, it was even better.

In our Nairobi taxi, making Eiffel Towers with our fingers. On our way!
Nate's boss's boss, Polly, happened to be on our Nai-Addis flight
Airplane bunk bed
When we arrived at Charles de Gaulle, the first restaurant was saw was this one. Nate was pleased as punch, and we all went in for coffee and cocoa.


The RER train into the city
We arrived at 6AM and dropped our bags at the Novotel-Gare de Lyon. We loved our family-friendly room (not least because it was paid for by Nate's conference).

The couch in back is a trundle bed for the kids
The bathroom window/wall could be turned opaque with the touch of a button

Soon it was time for our first adventure: walking from our hotel across the Seine to the Museum of Natural History. Last time Nate and I were in Paris I sent a photo of myself with one of the dinosaur sculptures in front of the Museum to the kids, and they wanted to see the dinosaur bones.




We had a quick lunch on the benches in front of the museum before heading in.


Did I mention it was springtime in Paris? The flowers were in bloom everywhere.



The museum was fascinating and fun, until it wasn't.







About this time Silas was feeling tired (remember the overnight flight and 6AM landing?) and he was overwhelmed by all the evidence of dead animals. Besides the bones, the walls of every floor of the museum are lined with jars of animal body parts. He had had enough, and even the whales and dinos did not interest him at that point.


Cora was still into the dinos
 


We headed outside to lay in the shade in some grass and recover our emotions and energy.


Juice and coffees at a street cafe also help tired kids and parents
Photo credit: Cora
Back at the hotel, it was time for a swim in the surprisingly deep pool. Everyone is feeling better now! Silas decides he is not afraid to jump into the deep end and starts swimming like a champ.


The kids watched a Netflix show and took a nap while Nate prepared for his conference the next day. I tried not to bounce off the walls with excitement. Actually, I think I went shopping.


In the evening, we were ready for another walking adventure to get to dinner. I had planned a walk that took us along the Seine, past Notre Dame, and into the Latin Quarter for a touristy dinner that I thought the kids would enjoy.

It was the first warm day in Paris that spring,
and the entire city seemed to be outside enjoying it
We began to realize that there are a LOT of playgrounds in Paris. Everywhere we went, we soon found we could stop for a playground break whenever we needed it. I had not thought of Paris as a kid-friendly city, but it had just been invisible to me before.


Ice cream on Ile St Louis before dinner? Why not?
There was no line to enter Notre Dame Cathedral, so we took our chance and went in. Cora loved the candles, and she lit one for Nana Hutch.



I tried to emphasize the beauty of the rose windows,
not sure they cared
 Outside Notre Dame were the usual buskers, a huge hit with the kids.

The kids got to choose our restaurant the the Latin Quarter, and they chose the first one where the waiter talked to them. Tourists! I loved it--it reminded me of when I was a university student here and fell for the same tricks and blah, overpriced meal. They loved it too!



The waiter gave them "fancy glasses"
 That night we got a message from Skylin in Wyoming, who sent us her own Eiffel Tower signal.


Next: Paris Part 2

No comments: