Sunday, April 30, 2017

Horseback riding in Nairobi

Our friend Karen (mother of Aiden and Tiana and neighbor at ILRI) has been inviting us to join her at a local horse riding stable for weeks, but today was the first time we actually made it. The stable is wonderful, with sweet-tempered horses, new facilities, and places for the kids to safely hang out when they are done riding so the moms can ride, too. The kids LOVED their first real lesson, and I loved my first lesson in decades.

Check us out. During the kids' lesson, the little kids all shared one instructor and also had individual handlers to help with the horses. The handlers are great with the kids -- talking with them about the horses, helping them try the new skills being taught by the instructor.

Cora getting ready for her lesson
Silas learning to post (stand-sit-stand used in trotting)
Aiden in the lead, then Cora, Tiana, and Silas
 

My lesson was a hoot. Karen and I rode together for most of the lesson until we split up so I could try cantering while she worked on trotting on the other side of the very large arena. I love the kids' comments in this video:


No comments: